This weekend, I attended a lovely Friendsgiving party, and brought these cookies along as a Hostess gift. Inspired by Top with Cinnamon’s DIY Thin Mints, these cookies are quick, simple, and delicious. I adapted the recipe a bit, adding hazelnuts as topping, and omitting the mint extract.
- One half package of Regular or Reduced Fat Oreos
- One 4 ounce bar of Baker’s Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate (or White)
- Hazelnuts, sprinkles, or other desired topping
- Scrape frosting off half a package of Oreos. I used a combination of both Reduced Fat and Regular, and found that the frosting slides right off the Regular cookies, reducing time and effort.
- Temper one 4 ounce bar of Baker’s Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate (alternatively, you can melt in the microwave, although you won’t achieve the same shiny texture). If making white-chocolate crisps, there’s no need to temper.
- Use a fork or spoon to lower the plain Oreo halves one by one into the tempered or melted chocolate. Uses another fork or knife to wipe the excess chocolate off.
- Transfer each cookie to a sheet lined with wax paper, and let cool for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare toppings. Sprinkle while the cookies are still a bit wet, then let the cookies set and dry.